A key component of SGM’s mission and core values is to give back to our communities. Since 1998, SGM has invested in the next generation of engineers by offering scholarships to local students pursuing an engineering degree.
In September 2001, SGM was saddened by the death of Steve Westhoff, a field engineer and SGM employee of two years. Steve’s integrity, humor, and vast technical knowledge were an inspiration to SGM and our clients. In 2002, SGM renamed their scholarship in honor of Steve and the qualities he embodied as a person and as an engineer.
As SGM has grown through the years, so has our scholarship program. We are proud to award five scholarships this year. Please join us as we congratulate this year’s recipients. All five students demonstrate strong academic achievement, a passion and enthusiasm for engineering, creativity, and a commitment to their community.
- Jeffrey Cesark, Grand Junction High School, plans to study civil or mechanical engineering at Colorado University – Boulder.
- John Ellyson, Palisade High School, will attend Colorado Mesa University to pursue a Mechanical Engineering degree.
- MacKenzi Johnson, Glenwood Springs High School, plans to study Biological Systems Engineering at the University of Nebraska – Lincoln.
- Matthew Osier, Glenwood Springs High School, will attend Southern Methodist University to pursue an engineering degree.
- Erick Quintanilla, Glenwood Springs High School, plans to study engineering at Colorado School of Mines.
With such bright talent in our local schools, the future of Western Colorado’s engineering needs is in good hands. SGM is pleased to encourage and support tomorrow’s engineers.